Sunday, February 22, 2015

Reflections on a Cold Week

This past week our church (Levy Church of Christ) got to work with other local churches and local homeless organizations to provide temporary shelter during this recent bout of extreme cold weather. Thought I'd share my thoughts and observations about the experience.

Our original role this winter was to be an emergency oncall shelter, only opening once the other shelters were full or there was someone that the other shelters wouldn't accept for the night. With that in mind we planned and prepared to accommodate 1 to 6 people. Up until this past Sunday we had only been called once to provide shelter to one lady.

But this week we were asked to be opened and staffed for any women they found needing a place to stay.  The church that would normally house women was unable to this week.  Based on how many they had had before, we expected up to 9 or 10.  Sunday night we had 4 women. Monday we were asked if we were willing to house both women and men. The church that was housing men had reached near their capacity the first night and the expectation was that the numbers would increase each night we were open. Monday night we had 4 women and 4 men.  Tuesday we had 4 women and 15 men. Wednesday - 3 women, 20 men. Thursday - 2 women, 19 or 21 men.

The week left me quite tired and a little weepy (but if you know me, the weepy part doesn't surprise you). I'm sorry that it's taken me this long to get involved.

There's really not much difference in housing 4 people and 23, just need a lot more food.

No special skills are needed to volunteer. If you can be friendly, kind and non-judgemental you got it.

I heard a number of softly worded prayers, mostly of thanksgiving. Was struck especially by observing a young woman who has endured a hard and cruel life say a little prayer before each meal.

Was left brokenhearted by my new friend Thomas. He spent most of his time laying on his cot reading the bible but he came outside late the first night and started talking to me.  Words of weariness and without hope of overcoming the life that he found himself in and struggling to understand the cruelty and meanness of the world. My responses seemed shallow and inadequate. I told him I would keep him in my prayers, he thanked me and walked off into the dark headed back toward downtown. The Van found him later and convinced him to come back. Thankfully he was back the rest of the week.  I hope I see him again.

I've always loved winter and for some reason especially February.  I enjoy the cold, bleak, grey melancholy feel of the month.  Not so much anymore. It wouldn't bother if it never snowed again here, if I want snow I can go to Colorado and ski.

There's a big difference in empathizing, worrying about, donating or supporting homeless organizations and knowing some of these folks by name. Names are powerful things, names make it personal. They grab onto a little piece of your brain and heart and won't let go.  Now instead of some generic "I hope the homeless are alright tonight in the cold", it's an intense worrying, hoping and praying that Shane, Thomas and Batman are ok and surviving the night.

I need to thank some folks.  First Aaron Reddin and his facebook rants and the image of the man freezing on the street covered only with a trash bag for warmth that finally moved me from good intentions to action. My church for being so supportive of our involvement in this. To those behind the scenes who have filled our freezer with food to serve.  Friends (both old and new) and family that have given up their time and volunteered this week - Mandy, Brandi, Cack, Ruth, Jackie, George, Latisha, Natasha, Cheyenne, Stephen, Andrew and Rory. First Pres of Argenta for the extra cots and chicken enchiladas (y'all are good folk). Dr. DA Frost and Zane for coming out in the middle of the night for some medical advice. Scott Aldridge for the the blankets,gloves and caps. Valerie, James, Michael, and Gene who volunteered on nights that we didn't get called. I know I'm forgetting some, so thank you to everyone that has been involved.

I need to single out a few of these volunteers for some special recognition.
Cack Reagan- Not only did she spend all night with me on one of the nights, she came back several times during the week to use our kitchen to cook for the folks over at one of the other shelters.
Mandy Akins - She treated people that she knew as family and those she didn't as long lost friends that she hadn't seen in awhile. She immediately moved onto my short list of favorite people in the world.
Jackie Williams - I can't begin to tell you all that she has done, I've come to love her and her family deeply.
Rory Young - My 4 year old granddaughter. She came for a short while Thursday night with her dad, she picked up a broom and swept and helped me stir the lemonade. She was upset when it was time to go because she hadn't done enough work to help the people without homes. She kinda melts my heart.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for all your hard work. I known you probably don't want any praise for how hard you've worked but it wouldn't have happened without you. I also want to add to your comment about the difference it makes to know people by name. I got to know several guys when I took breakfast to Central a couple of morning and I can't tell you how much I enjoyed talking to them. Curtis has a pug named Chopper and I had brought my young dog Jackson so I immediately bonded with him and his friends Todd and Dave because they took the time to try to encourage my shy dog and become friends with me. As you discovered when I came and stayed with you at Levy why you only had Joan, I can talk A LOT and I was one of the last ones to leave both mornings I was there. I think I was probably in the way of getting things cleaned up!! I loved it though and it made the rest of those days better because I spent time there.