Saturday, May 8, 2010

Softball at 52 - Week 3

Up and down week. First game was an exciting back and forth game. The other team hit a two run homer in the top of the last inning to go up by two. We came back in the bottom half and won on an infield single by the youngest member of our team Jason Justice. Good win, third of our four wins decided in the last inning.

Second game not good, missing a couple of key players, we were very flat. Didn't hit very well and played poorly defensively. We got smoked 19 - 6.

I'm still hitting well, not as solid and hard as the first two games but enough to get on base. Thru the first 5 games I've gotten on base 11 times in 15 ab's so I can't complain. Not sure I got on base 11 times all of last season.

My base running luck continued. Was going from 1st to 3rd on a single to left that the outfielder had misplayed. I realized that I was going to have to slide. So a couple of thoughts came to mind as I headed into third. One was that I hate this field, it's hard as a rock, like playing on concrete and two that if I slid it was going to hurt. At best I was going to have a big strawberry and at worst I'm 52 I just might break something (like a hip) and I was probably going to be out anyway. So I just kind of tippy toed around the guy at third as he tagged me. I was out so I was starting for the dugout but noticed the umpire was still looking at us so i stepped back on the bag and he called me safe (said he missed the tag). Bad call, I was easily out.

No comments: